__ | __|__ | _____________________| | | | | __ | | | | |__|__ | _John Whipple _______| | (1617 - 1685) m 1638| | | __ | | | | | __|__ | | | | |_____________________| | | | | __ | | | | |__|__ | _Samuel Whipple _____| | (.... - 1710) m 1666| | | __ | | | | | __|__ | | | | | _____________________| | | | | | | | | __ | | | | | | | | |__|__ | | | | |_Sarah ______________| | (1624 - 1666) m 1638| | | __ | | | | | __|__ | | | | |_____________________| | | | | __ | | | | |__|__ | | |--Thomas Whipple | (1671 - 1726) | __ | | | __|__ | | | _Andrew Harris ______| | | (.... - 1616) m 1603| | | | __ | | | | | | |__|__ | | | _Thomas Harris ______| | | (.... - 1686) m 1636| | | | __ | | | | | | | __|__ | | | | | | |_Jane Bagley ________| | | m 1603 | | | | __ | | | | | | |__|__ | | |_Mary Harris ________| (1639 - 1722) m 1666| | __ | | | __|__ | | | _____________________| | | | | | | __ | | | | | | |__|__ | | |_Elizabeth __________| m 1636 | | __ | | | __|__ | | |_____________________| | | __ | | |__|__
!SOURCE: David Jillson, "Descendants of Capt. John Whipple, of Providence, R.I.," New-England Historical and Genealogical Register, 32 (1878): 405.
!SOURCE: Clara Hammond McGuigan, The Antecedents and Descendants of Noah Whipple of the Rogerene Community at Quakertown, Connecticut (Ithaca, N.Y.: J.M. Kingsbury, 1971), p. 36.
!SOURCE: Clair A. Hemenway Newton, Captain John Whipple, 1617-1685, and His Descendants (Naperville, Ill., 1946), p. 52.
!SOURCE: Father Samuel's will, dated 9 Mar 1710/11, proved 20 Mar 1710/11, p. 181-2. Abstracted in Abstracts Providence Wills, Rhode Island Genealogical Register, vol. 12, p. 151.
!SOURCE: U.S. Mail from Charles M. Whipple, Jr., to Weldon Whipple, May 2003. Gives death between 1726 and 1730. (Previously entered as "Bef 31 Mar 1766.") Charles included a photocopy of a typescript of data "from the original records in Providence [R.I.] and Tolland, Conn. [typed] by Emily G. Weiss, 130 E. 57th St., New York City." The document reads (in part):
Thomas Whipple Family(Thomas was the son of Samuel and grandson of Capt. John, the emigrant.)
The proof that Abraham4 Whipple of Enfield, Conn., was the son of Thomas3, Samuel2, Captain John1 has been sought for many years. The following land records of Providence, R.I., and Tolland, Conn., are, therefore, of especial interest to descendants of this branch of the family.
Providence, R.I., Land Records, Providence, R.I.
- vol. 2:236:
- Samuel Whipple of Groton in the Colony of Connecticut and Thomas Whipple of the Town of Providence, Rhode Island ... Dec 30, 1712.
- vol. 5:39:
- April 23, 1717, recorded March 9, 1720/21, Thomas Whipple and Abigail Whipple, his wife, of Providence, Rhode Island ...
- vol. 2:595:
- Oct 1716/1717, Samuel Whipple of Groton and Thomas Whipple of Providence, Rhode Island ... recorded Feb 24, 1716/1717
- vol. 3:191:
- Nov 22, 1718, recorded Nov 29, 1718, Thomas Whipple of Tolland in the County of Hartford State of Connecticut ...
Tolland, Conn., Land Records, Tolland, Conn.
- vol. 1:73:
- April 2, 1720, record of a lott of Thomas Whipple of 40 acres lying in the south of Tolland in the County of Hartford in Colony of Connecticut ... the bound is as follows ;..
- vol. 1:73:
- ... Division of Thomas Whipple seven acres
- vol. 2:50:
- July 22, 1726 ... Thomas Whipple and Abraham Whipple (for) 33 pounds ... to be paid by Samuel Chapman living at or near Stratford (sell to) the said Samuel Chapman ... a certain tract or parcel of land ... being within the Township of Tolland near Thomas Pond containing by estimation 30 acres ...
Signed: Thomas Whipple
- vol. 2: 284:
- March 31, 1726: Thomas Whipple (of) Township of Bolton near the west side of the Town of Tolland (sells) for fifty pounds ... 47 acres ... laid out and surveyed in the year 1720 by Dan'l Eaton and Ebenezer Nye to my said Thomas Whipple's honorable father Thomas Whipple now supposedly deceased. Dated Mar 31, 1726
Signed: Thomas Whipple
- vol. 2:391:
- Nov 3, 1730, Thomas Whipple and Abraham Whipple of Enfield in the County of Hampden and in the Province of Massachusetts Bay in New England (sell) for forty pounds (to) Josiah Goodrich of Tolland ... 77 acres of land ... in the common and undivided lands of said Town together with one Ceadr [sic] Swamp lot already drawn for which lands were orinigally [sic] granted to our honored father Thomas Whipple late of Tolland deceased ...
Signed: Thomas Whipple
!RESIDENCES: Lived in Glocester, Rhode Island. --C.A.H. Newton; according to C.M. Whipple, Jr., he lived in Smithfield, R.I. (not Glocester); he "left Rhode Island in about 1718" -- C.M. Whipple, Jr.
!CHILDREN: According to Clair A. Hemenway Newton, Captain John Whipple, 1617-1685, and His Descendants (Naperville, Ill., 1946), p. 52, Thomas and Abigail had three additional children, named Enoch, Daniel and Noah. Charles M. Whipple, Jr., in email to Weldon Whipple dated 13 Jan 2005, suggests otherwise. He writes:
I have been diligently searching the records for Noah, Enoch, and Daniel, the supposed sons of Thomas Senior (636). I am presently writing on his history and have entitled it--from the Louquisset Meadows to Thomas' Pond. I have come to the conclusion that that they never existed. Do you know off hand where the present information on the website was obtained? I think Newton took her source from Jillson. I would like to hypothesize what might have happened. The sons of Noah (635) were also Noah, Enoch, and Daniel. Could it be that they were mistakenly added to Thomas? ... McGuigan, (p. 36) the most authoritative source on the Samuel Whipple family I've consulted, does not know of these three sons of Thomas.
RIN 636. Quick link to this page: https://genweb.whipple.org/636
View this person at the Whipple One-Name Study